Solid line to COO Fabrizio Orsi, dotted line with the other locations’ Gallery Directors
The Gallery Director is responsible for establishing the artistic strategy of the gallery in Beijing and managing its day-to-day operations.
The director’s goal will be to maintain and expand the reputation of the gallery by being responsible for the organisation and professional accomplishment of its exhibition program and by enlarging the awareness and interest of the local community toward our programs. A strong understanding of the arts, the collector community, and Sales/Relationship Management will be necessary to succeed in this position.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A bachelor's or master's degree educated or equivalent, with a comprehensive understanding of art history and art market.
- Expertise in Modern and Contemporary Art market, with at least 5-7 years’ work experience as Director and in a client relationship driven sales capacity preferable. Other areas of fine art specialisms beneficial.
- Significant experience in art sales and management role in an art related position (museums galleries, art institutions and so on).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, a team player with an ability to develop working relations with colleagues on a global scale.
- Professional and discreet client service skills.
- Existing relationships within the collector, fiduciary, dealer and museums communities beneficial.
- Proactive self-starter who demonstrates successful relationships and initiative with clients.
- Thorough, focused, with a passion and commitment to the field.
- Strong multi-tasker, able to prioritize and maintain composure in a high pressure environment and meet constant deadlines.
- Excellent writing and organizational skills.
- Chinese mother-tongue.
- Complete fluency in English essential.
- Additional languages are desirable.
- Experiences working in international companies are preferred.
The role will include, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Supervision of activities that take place at the gallery in line with the budget set out by the COO.
- Proposal and outline of the exhibition calendar of the exhibitions to be organized at the gallery.
- Monitoring of the relative expenses of the gallery’s activities (exhibitions, events, current expenditure etc.) being responsible for the communication with the COO for all relevant information concerning countability and budget.
- Organise and lead the weekly staff meeting of the gallery, making sure that everyone in the team is working towards his objectives.
- Participation in meetings with the COO and other locations’ Gallery Directors.
- Managing the monitoring of objectives through performance reviews with individual members of the staff.
- Managing conflicts that can occur in the team to guarantee the wellbeing of all staff members.
- Coordination of the staff and the distribution of the work load for regular activities in the gallery and for specific projects linked to the activities that take place, checking the progress of the work and eventually proposing solutions in order to resolve issues.
- Coordination and supervision, from an operative stand point, of the organization of events in the gallery.
- Event Marketing: develop effective event marketing programs, prepare exhibition catalogs working with graphic designers, photographers and printers, managing the inviting of art critics, journalists and selected guests to a private viewing.
- Driving sale transactions by identifying and developing clients to actively transact and cultivate long-term client relationships to achieve this. Together with Client Development identify specific client priorities, key business strategies and action plans for existing or newly identified clients.
- Act as a trusted advisor to priority clients to address and anticipate their needs and through an understanding of their interests, facilitate introductions to and engagement with relevant specialists globally, promoting cross channel and cross category opportunities.
- Maintain high profile within the wider Contemporary communities by attending major art fairs, exhibition and museum openings (as agreed in advance). Leverage connections within the collector community to generate new business opportunities and drive transaction volume.
- Maintain general knowledge of G.Continua’s policies and procedures as related to compliance, shipments, and post-sale services.
Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org your resume and a cover letter with “Beijing Gallery director” in the subject line.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, age and more.